Friday, August 26, 2016

Ready to Start a New School Year? Remember What Matters Most!

Sometimes we don't take seriously the impact that little details make in our students. Showing genuine care and interest in their lives beyond our classroom matters! I just received this from one of my students who will move to another district. I am humbled by his letter, and my heart is melting. Just what I needed today, as the nervousness of the upcoming start of the school year begins... when I invariably seem question all my work... am I doing things right? Does it even matter? This sweet boy just answered that for me. 
Dear Mrs. Yedinak,
I'm not sure if you have heard, but I must report that I will not be attending Ripon High School this year. I thought, though, that I would contact you about how great it was to have you as a teacher. I learned a great amount from you, and you always seemed to show a genuine interest and concern for my well being. From all of the talks while passing in the hall to the amazing coffee that you so generously gave me, you showed me that you were an incredible friend as well an outstanding teacher of Spanish. I will be attending XXX School for my Senior year due to the fact that my father is moving us closer to his workplace. I will, though, think about all of the important lessons that you have taught me of both Spanish and life.
Gratefully,
XXX
P.s. I've kept the empty bag of coffee that you gave me to remind me of the great time that I had in your class.

No comments:

Post a Comment