Sunday, February 1, 2015

Student Output Without Stress!

Last week I introduced clothing items and "she puts/put on..." using the commercial Vaseline Spray and Go.  I described what the girl in the commercial was doing, Movie Talk style.  I went back and forth using both tenses, and doing a lot of comprehension checks.  I did first the one about the dress, contrasting "she puts on her dress" (se pone el vestido) and "pone las manos en el piso", "pone la crema en el piso", to contrast the reflexive and present indicative form. The second commercial that I showed was the one with the skirt, sweater and shoes.  I tried to incorporate personalized questions and answers (PQA) as much as possible, to compare and contrast what students and the girl in the commercial were wearing. I emphasized the way she puts her shoes on, (with one jump). I challenged students to try and put their shoes on that same way, and I tired to do it myself as they were narrating... that was fun!
I continued to compare the SE PONE against PONE, with lots of comprehension checks.  The last commercial that I showed was the one that included more clothing items: jeans, sweater, blouse, shoes.  I narrated it again, pausing and trying to develop conversation with my students.  We gave the girl a name, and also went on describing the room, and bathroom.
Finally, I played it again without pausing as I narrated it once more.  Then, I instructed students to work with a partner and take turns to narrate the commercial twice.  After they practiced, I took volunteers to give it a shot in front of the class. I was THRILLED to see the reaction!  They had so much fun practicing first, and the amount of volunteers to try in front of everybody was much higher than I thought!  Almost every student wanted to try!  I wasn't expecting this to be a home-run, since output is usually something that intimidates most students. The challenge was high, because this girl puts on jeans, sweater, hat, shoes and leaves so quickly that it is almost impossible to narrate every single detail.  However, many students could do it all, and what I found fascinating was to observe that they were so focused on the message, that they were not paying attention to the language itself... I don't know if I am expressing this clearly, but after hearing that phrase in many workshops I finally understood what it means... The whole group was engaged and so focused on the many MANY repetitions that we got, that even the giggling of the "se puso" went away much faster than I had observed in previous years with other groups...  Tomorrow I will continue "milking" this commercial using the activity I created in a Power Point:


No comments:

Post a Comment